Experienced webmasters know that creating an interesting and useful web project is not enough. without proper website optimization for search engines, it is unlikely to be able to gain the proper popularity, success, and even more so bring money to its owner. In a global sense, search engine optimization (or as it is fashionable to call it - SEO) is usually divided into internal and external. In our article today, we will try to highlight these two areas. Since only with complex work is it possible to successfully promote a site in search engines (PS).
One of the most popular myths today is a certain opinion that optimization has ceased to give the effect that it had before, therefore it is not only pointless to deal with it, but even harmful. This myth was formed on the basis of the fact that search engines radically changed their algorithms, and therefore, the old methods of search engine optimization of the site stopped working or their implementation was significantly complicated. However, the optimizers also did not stand still and as a result of numerous experiments found ways to optimize the site so that it “liked” the PS.
Internal website optimization for search engines
The concept of internal website optimization includes a lot of nuances, which we will talk about today. But not all of them will be relevant for you, as different sites require a different optimization method. Choose only those that can be applied in your case.
- Meta tags have changed their way of working. If earlier it was possible to simply collect keywords and drop them anyhow in the meta tags: keywords, description and title, waiting for the growth of traffic and positions, then now such manipulations, of course, will not work. But how do meta tags work now ?! First of all, we want to say that the keywords tag has already lost its former strength and now it is being filled in, which is called “for show”. The “description” meta tag is currently only used by the Google search engine to generate a snippet in the output, therefore it is advisable to write this text in this field as nicely as possible so that after reading these 2-3 sentences, I would like to click on the links and go to the site . But the meta tag "title" only gained its significance! Now it should be mandatory to enter 1-2 keywords on which the page is moving, however, this must be done again beautifully, neatly and naturally. For example, not just enter the query “Buckwheat diet”, but write something like this: “Buckwheat diet for weight loss - reviews, tips and recipes.” Many more people can click on such a title, which subsequently will positively affect behavioral factors, which, in turn, can improve the position in the SERP.
- Organize the correct linking of the site. The basis of internal website optimization for search engines is the correct linking. You should understand that on the site each link should play a role in optimization, if it does not, then it should be excluded from the cycle urgently. It is excluded with the help of scripts, AJAX technology, or a banal closing from indexing by the attribute “rel” and its value “nofollov”, it looks like this: rel = “nofollow”. It will not be superfluous to close the link text (anchor), for this the text is in the noindex tag (text). If you are not good at web-building, then it is better to leave your site in the hands of professionals, or even remove these links from the site. Which links can be called redundant: leading to pages that DO NOT lead visitors or links that do not contain the desired anchor. If you have a blog or a site that is filled mainly with articles, be sure to put links to your other materials. In this case, you need to use the anchor along which the article to which you are linking is advancing.
- Excess site pages should be deleted. Review your site structure, most likely you will find pages that the site does not need at all, these can be the pages “About Us”, “Advertising”, “Cooperation”, “Statistics”, “Site Creators”, etc. You can also delete some articles that do not have value for visitors or do not lead visitors from search engines. A lot of SEO-specialists are sure that from time to time from the site you should delete those articles that do not lead at least 10 people a month, and at the same time are on the site for more than six months. When deleting articles, do not forget to delete the links that could remain in your other articles, since if you have a lot of links leading “to no where”, then this will also negatively affect optimization.
- Make robots.txt carefully. The robots.txt file can be called a kind of instruction for search engines, which tells what should be indexed on the site, namely which pages to consider in the index and which not. Ideally, you should create a robots.txt file so that it contains separate indexing rules for Yandex, separately for Google. Particular importance should be given to this file in those cases, if you use CMS (content management system) for the site, and do not create a project using bare HTML. The fact is that CMS are created mainly as a universal “site engine”, that is, it is capable of working with large portals and small business card sites. In this connection, there may be problems with indexing. Where duplicates can occur: in sorting articles by year, page, and tag, on the so-called “Printable” pages, feed and rss pages, on pages with separate comments, etc.
- Each page should be written on request. An ideal site for search engines is that site on which each page is created for its specific request. If this site still has a simple structure and was created exclusively without duplicates (for example, in pure html), then in this case the site has every chance to reach TOP positions without any special problems and big financial investments. If the site, in addition to the necessary pages, has pages such as registration, registration rules, a bunch of user profile pages, statistics, login pages, etc., then such a site is very difficult to understand. These pages should, if not deleted, be closed from indexing by all possible methods and get rid of links on the site using AJAX technology, which will allow site visitors to use all the registration options on the site, but the code and pages will not be accessible to search robots.
- Distribution of requests on the site. When creating a site, a very important point is the rule for distributing requests on a site: from 1 to 3 high-frequency (HF) requests are taken for the main page and optimized for them, medium-frequency (MF) requests are used for categories, and low-frequency (LF) inquiries remain for articles. The fact is that the largest weight on the site usually falls on the main page, slightly less on the categories, and the least weight diverges on the articles. Recently, sites created exclusively for low-frequency queries have gained great popularity. They do not use the usual HF and MF queries for the main and categories. The thing is that it is much easier to advance on LF requests, both technically and financially, and given that there are several million such small requests, everyone can take their place in the sun.
- Site structure. It should be organized so that the most important and best pages of the site are accessible from any page of the site. If this is the main page (such as: various services or portals), then the link should be located in several places, for the convenience and ease of navigation. If the main essence of the site is in categories (for example: online cinemas, where navigating by genre takes one of the most important roles), then they should be allocated the most prominent place on the site and they should be emphasized. If the main task is assigned to articles, that is, the site was created exclusively for low-frequency queries (women’s topics, home, family, medicine, etc.), then the structure should look like this so that links to other pages are available on each page of the article posts, this was the main emphasis. The place for linking to the main page and to the category should be as small as possible. Links are also of particular interest, in the latter case links should go only to articles, and from articles all links should be directed to other articles, but not to categories or the main page (they should be closed from the search robot).
Pictures and photos, video and gif animations reduce failures, increase the time on the site and help improve the behavioral factor, which is paid special attention to.
Site visitors spend a lot of time on media content, often share it and spend more time on the site, which improves behavioral factors, gives external links and transitions.
So what is the difference between site optimization for search engines Yandex and Google?
Content Search engines like Yandex and Google negatively relate to non-unique texts on the site. But if in Google the site may be in the index even with non-unique content, then Yandex is less loyal to plagiarism. Optimization of such a site is impossible, in addition, it may fall under the search engine filter (excluding part or all of the pages from the search results). Therefore, before embarking on a promotion, you need to make sure that the resource contains a certain amount of unique content.
You can write texts yourself, assign them to employees, ask friends or entrust them to specialists - copywriters who will do everything at the highest level. Turning to a specialized seo-company, website optimization for search queries will also include the work of professional copywriters.
As for the volume of articles, if we analyze the search results for one of the competitive queries, we can see that all sites in Yandex will have texts that differ slightly in volume. Therefore, if you need optimization in this system, then you should pay close attention to this indicator, study competitors and take into account when filling the site with material.
At Google, the volume of texts on sites in TOP-10 can vary widely: there may be resources containing only tables, pictures or just single queries on the landing page, and sites with a large volume of texts. But this does not mean that with search engine optimization of a site for Google, you can not pay enough attention to content.
As for the keywords (queries that users enter in the search bar), it can be noted that Yandex, as a system that was originally created to search in Russian, is more flexible in this regard. Google is less familiar with the morphology of the Russian language, it is very important for it that the requests are in a direct entry. Therefore, if site optimization for this search engine does not produce results, it may be worth adjusting the texts and headings on the site.
But for both search engines, the interests of users are most important. And the resource on which really useful materials will be posted and responding to user requests will be much easier to optimize and achieve the necessary results.
Also, website optimization for Yandex and Google search engines has a distinction with respect to meta tags (title, description, keywords) and tag. Here it is necessary to highlight several important points:
- When optimizing a site for Google search engine, you should pay attention to the direct entry of key queries in the title, especially for high-frequency and competitive words. For example, if a page is moving at the request of “metal door” and “metal door”, then if for Yandex it’s enough to include one word form in the title, and on Google you can’t reach a position without directly entering both word forms. Of course, this is not an axiom, but if site optimization in Google does not give the desired result, then you need to pay attention to this factor.
- In most cases, Google takes content from description to form a snippet, which cannot be said about Yandex. An attractive snippet is very important - based on it, users make the decision to switch to the site. In addition, the latest trends in seo optimization suggest that the influence of behavioral factors on search results is increasing. That is, if users from the search engine either don’t go to your site at all, or leave it after a few seconds of stay, its rating will decrease and this will affect the positions. And therefore, with competent optimization, this must be taken into account.
- the contents of the Alt tag are perceived by search engines in different ways. The American search engine considers it as the main text of the page, unlike the Russian one.
Website optimization for search engines is impossible without a link mass. But the attitude to links from search engines is different. Google indexes links to a site much faster, and therefore the effect of optimization is faster. But it’s impossible to say so about Yandex - the result of links can only be seen after some time, usually a few months.
Google is good at end-to-end links (placed from all pages on the site). But if you need optimization only for the Yandex search engine, then it is better to purchase links from the main pages.
If the article has several links to one url, then Google will count them as one, and Yandex will consider everything. There are also differences regarding the location of the links. It was noticed that Google often does not take into account links placed in the footer of the site, preferring links in the main text. Yandex considers everything.
As noted above, Google has a poor understanding of Russian morphology, which is also relevant for link text - it’s better that the main part of the anchor list is made up of direct occurrences of keywords. For Yandex, it is better to write the most natural anchor list, with the inclusion of various word forms. In addition, excessive occurrence of keys in direct occurrence may cause a filter to be applied to the site (exclusion from the index).
Google also takes into account links from social platforms such as blogspot.com, livejournal.com, etc., and at the same time accepts any text format, whether it be a keyword or even just the name of the site.
It is worth noting that the influence of link factors is also different. Website optimization on Google in the Russian-language Internet is still based on the link mass, and good links can promote the site in the TOP, but for Yandex it is not so simple. With the introduction of Matrixnet, a decrease in the influence of the reference factor can be observed, and this trend continues.
This means that successful website optimization for search engines must necessarily take into account behavioral factors. To do this, it is necessary to improve and develop the resource, in general, to approach this issue comprehensively.
And the last thing that I would like to note about the description of optimization differences for both search engines is the frequency and feature of updating their ranking algorithms. Google does not differ in the frequency of their shift, preferring to improve and improve the existing one. But Yandex does not cease to please us with the release of new algorithms having the names of various well-known and not-so-Russian cities, the last of which is Snezhinsk. Therefore, when optimizing a site for Yandex, you must always be ready for constant surprises on its part.
Of course, this is far from all the differences that exist in the search engine optimization of a site for the two largest systems. You can learn more in our other articles on our website. But to get a guarantee of the high quality of the services and to be completely sure that your website will occupy the necessary positions both in Google and in Yandex, only an appeal to professionals in this field, which are the specialists of Artox Media Digital Group, will allow.
Links to reputable sites
Outgoing links to authoritative pages help search engines more accurately determine the topic of your page and improve the quality of information. Get used to putting links to authoritative sources of information at the end of the article.
Such links give a signal to search engines that the content on your page cites information sources with a high degree of trust and allows you to get a piece of this trust.
More keywords in the first 100 words
Keywords in the first 100-150 words of the article have more weight than keywords further in the text. This does not mean that the text should begin with an enumeration of keys. Try to build the logic of the text so that the keywords at the beginning of the text look organic.
The time of saturation of the text with keywords has irrevocably passed, it's time to think about the structure of the text. The text, by means of keywords, should immediately give the reader why he came to a particular page, and therefore the keywords should be closer to the beginning of the article in order to immediately bring the necessary information.
Use Keyword Synonyms
Search engines analyze the meaning of various keyword phrases to determine the relevance of a page. The more richly described the essence of the key request, the more relevant the page will be to this request.
Кроме синонимов не забывайте различные склонения и числа как самих ключевых слов, так и из синонимов. Современные поисковые системы понимают даже логические синонимы, а так же ключевые слова с ошибками. Пользуйтесь на здоровье!
Оптимизируйте название изображений и тег ALT
Если вы используете оригинальные изображения, необходимо оптимизировать название файла изображения и тег ALT. Optimization of the ALT tag of the original images allows you to increase search traffic by 24% by adding keywords.
Do not forget that with the help of attributes such as alt and title, you can add a lot of additional content to the page code. For such care and hard work, search engines will surely reward pages with higher relevance.
Slow down download speed
Reducing the download speed due to good hosting and image file compression allows you to increase the relevance of the page and behavioral factors. In the next article, you'll see an infographic showing how page loading speed affects site SEO metrics.
Page loading speed is considered by search engines as one of the factors of search ranking. 75% of visitors will not return to the site if its pages load longer than 4 seconds.
You can check the speed of loading pages on a site through Google PageSpeed.
Add Social Media Buttons
Adding social network buttons makes it possible to obtain external links to the site’s pages. External social links are the key to a high-quality targeted external link mass, as well as a strong signal to search engines that your content is really important to visitors.
Social links are an expression of the usefulness and applicability of the content on your page. This is exactly what you need to strive for and for which high relevance is "issued".
The first places in the search results are pages with texts from 2000 words. Of course, the optimal amount of content depends on the topic.
To describe the essence of a particular page, you need a certain amount of text content that will meet the basic key requests of the page and convey the unique meaning of this particular page.
The more textual content on the page and it more diverse describes the meaning of key queries, the easier it is for search engines and visitors to understand what is at stake. We recall that text content is not only the text of the article, but also the attributes alt, title and the meta description tag. Do not forget about them.
Customize your site for mobile devices
Responsive design allows you to adjust the site to the size of the device used by the visitor. The lack of responsive design increases crashes when viewing a site from mobile devices, which worsens the behavioral factor.
In addition to responsive design, there are a number of ways to increase the relevance of pages using an SEO-optimized website layout.
- Optimize Page URL,
- Ideal SEO header shorter than 55 characters
- Use the media (pictures, photos, video, gif),
- Bet links to authoritative sites,
- Post keywords in the first 100 words of the page text,
- Use synonyms for keywords,
- Optimize image title and ALT tag,
- Reduce page load speed,
- Add social network buttons,
- Increase volume of text content On the page,
- Adapt the site to mobile devices.
Save your infographics, checklist and do not forget to share with your friends. And to keep abreast of the latest articles - subscribe to the blog. Further it will be even more interesting.
Website optimization for search queries
Website optimization in search engines is one of the main types of promotion, which requires close attention. The whole essence of optimization cannot be described on a small page, it cannot be learned in a month, especially since some optimization methods are very outdated. So optimization is not a multiplication table that does not change and remains constant throughout life. Website optimization for search queries is the main task of the optimizer. Optimizationyes and website promotion in general, this is an everyday changing phenomenon that requires constantly up-to-date information and quick action. But there are several ageless methods for optimizing individual Internet pages and, accordingly, the whole site.
Now the most important rule before creating a site is that it should be created for people, not for search engines. In further actions, it is necessary to maintain this principle and not abuse the stuffing of text with keywords and queries. In general, all optimization options need to be worked out even before the page is built - then fixing it is much more difficult.
The first thing to do is decide on the keywords, which will form the basis and by which you want your page to be in the search engines when requested. Having sorted out the keywords, now we need to optimally arrange them in the text. Some give exact numbers 5-8% of the total text content. But these numbers may vary. In any case, they should not be dazzling and imposed on the reader - do not forget about the principle of creating a site for people.
Keyword distributors now need to register them in tags. In the title tag, you just need to insert the keyword on which the page is moving. In meta tags, it is also advisable to insert a keyword. In general, it is best to promote each page for a separate keyword.
The bottom line is: if you want to achieve the best ratings in the search results, regardless of whether the spider robot or the person is indexing, you just need to “think” as a person, not as a computer program.
The second stage of website optimization includes bringing the structure and type of thematic information presented on the site in line with the ideas of search engines about the ideal. Indeed, although search engines try to evaluate sites as a “smartest person in the world” would do, their criteria, nevertheless, are somewhat different from human criteria. The need for specific search engine optimization owes its existence to precisely this distinction and this specificity of search engine ratings. Briefly, the task of this stage is to present the website to the search engines as maximally relevant - relevant - to the stated topic, that is, relevant queries.
Third stage - this is work with links. This may seem strange, but in its importance, this last stage competes with the first. Paradoxically, the fact is that the links are even more important than the actual content of the site. Why is this so? To do this, you need to consider the principles of assessing the relevance of a site to a search query. At the moment, most search engines evaluate the relevance of a page to a query, in the most simplified form, as the product of the authority of the page and the sum of the relevance of the page text and the relevance of the link text to the search query.
Of these components, the relevance of the page text to the query is the object of the second stage of free website optimization. This is how much the content matches the search query. This value is not infinite, because it is determined by percentage values - the relative content of keywords in the text, the proximity of keywords to the top of the page, etc. That is why optimizing the content of pages on a site has its own “ceiling” of effectiveness.
External website optimization for search engines
Now let's move on to the second part of the article, which is devoted to external optimization. Many believe that the role of external optimization is gradually decreasing, in fact, this is not so. The importance of optimization does not decrease, but the possibility of influencing external factors only becomes more complicated. Now it doesn’t work out, just buy a lot of links to the site in order to get into the TOP at the right request. At least, such external site optimization for Yandex is definitely not suitable (for Google PS it may work). So, let's move on to the tips:
- Before purchasing links, make a plan: which queries will you promote, which ones will focus on, and where to develop further. Firstly, you must prepare the AE (semantic core) that you will promote, that is, make a list of important queries for you. Arrange them in order of importance. Find a software or online service that will help you monitor the movement of all positions in order to know when to stop promoting one or another request. Try to move several queries at the same time, because if you performed the correct internal website optimization for search engines, then the small queries that make it into the TOP will themselves transfer the weight to the main queries.
- Combine quantity with quality. One of the most common questions arising from external optimization is: “Buy 10 good links or 100 not very good ones ?!” In this case, we proceed as follows: firstly, we never purchase links from low-quality sites, and secondly we allocate the budget in equal shares for the purchase of links of different quality. Such an integrated approach works in all cases, so we recommend that all beginners apply it. Over time, having gained experience, you will be able to understand for yourself in what topics and with what queries, what quality links work better, which will save the budget on promotion. Now it’s absolutely not worth bothering with this.
- Diversify the anchor sheet. One of the most common optimizer errors is the incorrect purchase of links. To promote one request, they buy links with the same anchor, without matching it at all, without adding new words (at the end, at the beginning or in the middle), without replacing the anchor with a random word at all, like “here, here, there, site, site. ru ”, etc., and this not only can be done, but even NEEDED! The net entry of anchor from the entire share of the purchase of links should be no more than 60%.
- Try to get a link on a site that has not yet been seen on sale. Links from sites that were not previously seen by search engines on sale have the greatest effect. To do this, study how many external links are on the site (you can find out through the website recipdonor.com), if the volume does not exceed 5% of the total number of pages, this is the most suitable candidate. In addition, on most exchanges, for the purchase of links, you can select the item such as “show only those sites that were added to the system 2 weeks, 3 weeks or a month ago”. Such sites are more likely to be clean, and you will have time to “skim the cream” from them.
- Use SMO (website optimization for social networks)! Speaking of external optimization for search engines, one can not help but mention that now SMO and SEO have become closely intertwined with each other, that is, in some requests, positions directly depend on advancement in social networks. And most importantly, this process is only gaining momentum. Therefore, if you want to always be “on horseback”, start now to buy links not only on other sites, but also on social networks - by creating groups, organizing contests and giving the opportunity on the site to add an article to your social networks.
- Create mini-sites for the development of the core. In addition to purchasing links, try to use all possible ways to create advertising for your main site. To do this, you can create 2-3 mini-sites on similar topics and also engage in their promotion, after they get stronger (six months will pass, the first visitors will come, the link mass will gather), you can use these resources as an additional source of traffic and links. The main thing is not to overdo it with the number of those links. Try to make everything look natural, both for people and for search engines. Do not try to link the mini-sites to each other, otherwise the PS may consider these sites to be a “grid”, therefore, impose sanctions on all resources, including your main project.
- Free methods. Today, the rule: “Create a website for people (SDL) and it will promote itself!” No longer works, at least in most cases. Therefore, expect that you will begin to put links, tell friends, advise, etc. - It’s not worth it if you just don’t have a brilliant idea that can “blow up” the Internet community. If you mean by the phrase “free methods” affixing links to sites that allow it (in profiles, signatures, advertisements, directories, etc.), then there's no sense in waiting here either, especially not. The effect will be but minimal. In addition, there is a chance in the future to ruin the reputation of the site! Therefore, for pure SDL, this method is not suitable.
- Automation is evil. Remember the simple rule: “Any method of external optimization put“ on the conveyor ”sooner or later turns into a meat grinder!”, And your sites are the meat that go through all kinds of runs and affix links of low quality. If luck did not smile at you, then you have a great chance to get sanctions from search engines for spam, which will forever close the door to your website on the Internet. Therefore, when ordering any service, specify: it will occur automatically or manually!
So, we’ll probably end here. In general, you should have learned the basic rules and methods of website optimization for search engines. However, we omitted a very important detail, namely the optimization of website texts. And they did it on purpose! We did not interfere with everything in a heap, so we wrote a separate post on this topic, entitled: How to write an article. In it you will learn all the nuances of writing, designing and optimizing articles on the site.
After the site is optimized, you can begin to monetize it, for example, to earn money by selling links. Good luck